An antique, hand coloured copper engraving of the Sussex landmark of Lewes Castle. Published circa 1770's. Built in the 11th century by William de Warenne, it was originally called Bray Castle. It occupies a commanding position guarding the gap in the South Downs cut by the River Ouse, and stands on a man-made mount just to the north of the high street in Lewes, and is constructed from local limestone and flint blocks.
Print size: 15cm x 10.5cm
Mount size: 25.5.cm x 23.5cm